Top Fuel Class Drag Rules:
Note: Track power is supplied at 24 volts dc.
Top Fuel Drag Class Body Rules
- Top Fuel looking body, must have wing. Body can be custom made, vacuum formed, AFX 4 gear dragster body or a Mead brothers kit.
- Body must be painted & decaled.
Top Fuel Drag Class Chassis Rules
- Original Aurora Thunderjet chassis only.
- Chassis boiling or dyeing is allowed.
- Stock Aurora blue two-lam "drag arm", either blue or gold wire. Motor may be air-gapped/balanced/comm plate may be surfaced on lathe, no de-winding or timing changes of motor allowed.
- Johnny Lightning (blue/white) motor magnets must be used, magnets can be shimmed with non-metallic material only. The face of magnets may be sanded to allow them to fit into an Aurora chassis, however no less than .700 spacing between the magnets measured from center to center. No Auto World motor magnets allowed (dark blue/white).
- Any commercially available motor brush may be used.
- Stock location of factory motor brushes must be maintained. No brush cups allowed.
- Stock Aurora brass gears on top plate only - no aftermarket gears allowed. No hollow-back gears allowed. No thinning of gears. Minimum top plate gear thickness is .047"
- Stock factory gears must be used (polishing & lapping of gears allowed but no thinning of gears). Gear teeth count: Armature Pinion gear-14 teeth / Idler gear-24 teeth / Driven gear-24 teeth & underside Drive Pinion gear-9, 12 or 14 teeth / Crown gear-15 teeth. All top plate gears must be made of brass and be the original Aurora gears.
- Removal of the top plate rails forward of the pinion gear hole is allowed.
- Commercially available aftermarket plastic/delrin crown gear is allowed (15 tooth).
- Any commercially available copper pickup shoe allowed.
- Braids on pickup shoes allowed (no shunts), but length of braid must not exceed the overall length of pickup.
- Any rear tire/hub combination can be used, tires must be black in color.
- Front tires must touch the track while car is placed on track at starting line.
- One stock or aftermarket guide pin can be used & must be mounted in stock location. No blade-type guide pins allowed. Guide pin may be glued/bonded to the chassis.
Normally Top Fuel is the fastest class around however I've decided to go with a blue drag arm since it makes nice torque off the starting line but doesn't usually produce blinding top end speed. The reason for this is that I don't want to see anyone's beautiful creation take a wall-shot and destroy the time & effort that a racer put forth to build a detailed Top Fuel racer.